- •Tuberculosis (TB) has been recognized as a serious cause of morbidity and mortality in pregnancy for over a century.
- •Efforts to research and roll out TB screening and treatment at antenatal clinics in high-burden populations has lagged behind similar efforts for HIV.
- •Microbiological screening is important in pregnancy due to overlapping symptoms.
- •There is a need for more data on optimal treatment strategies during pregnancy and the effects of infection and treatment on maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality.
2. Prevalence of TB in pregnancy
- Bates M.
- Ahmed Y.
- Chilukutu L.
- Tembo J.
- Cheelo B.
- Sinyangwe S.
- et al.
- Bates M.
- Ahmed Y.
- Chilukutu L.
- Tembo J.
- Cheelo B.
- Sinyangwe S.
- et al.
3. Effects on immunity
4. TB as a cause of maternal deaths
5. Effects of maternal TB infection and treatment on the neonate
6. Multidrug-resistant TB and pregnancy
7. Extrapulmonary TB and pregnancy
- Pregnancy and tuberculosis: Part 2—The treatment of tuberculosis complicated by pregnancy.Can Med Assoc J. 1922; 12: 103-106
- Pregnancy and tuberculosis: Part I—The effects of pregnancy on tuberculosis.Can Med Assoc J. 1922; 12: 1-3
- Global policy review of antiretroviral therapy eligibility criteria for treatment and prevention of HIV and tuberculosis in adults, pregnant women, and serodiscordant couples.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013; 62: e87-e97
- Global tuberculosis report 2014 (in IRIS).World Health Organization, Geneva2014
- Tuberculosis in pregnant and postpartum women: epidemiology, management, and research gaps.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: 1532-1549
- High prevalence of pulmonary tuberculosis but low sensitivity of symptom screening among HIV-infected pregnant women in South Africa.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e62211
Sugarman J, Colvin C, Moran A, Oxlade O. Tuberculosis in pregnancy: an estimate of the global burden of disease. Lancet Global Health 2014; in press.
- Use of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis comorbidity and multidrug-resistant TB in obstetrics and gynaecology inpatient wards at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka.Zambia. Trop Med Int Health. 2013; 18: 1134-1140
- Evaluation of the burden of unsuspected pulmonary tuberculosis and co-morbidity with non-communicable diseases in sputum producing adult inpatients.PLoS One. 2012; 7
- Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay at a tertiary care referral hospital in a setting where tuberculosis and HIV infection are highly endemic.Clin Infect Dis. 2012;
- WHO policy on collaborative TB/HIV activities: guidelines for national programmes and other stakeholders.World Health Organization, Geneva2012
- A model of tuberculosis screening for pregnant women in resource-limited settings using Xpert MTB/RIF.J Pregnancy. 2012; 2012: 565049
- Risk of tuberculosis in pregnancy: a national, primary care-based cohort and self-controlled case series study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: 779-784
- Postpartum tuberculosis incidence and mortality among HIV-infected women and their infants in Pune, India, 2002-2005.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: 241-249
- Characterizing the pregnancy immune phenotype: results of the viral immunity and pregnancy (VIP) study.J Clin Immunol. 2012; 32: 300-311
- Immune reconstitution syndrome and exacerbation of infections after pregnancy.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: 1192-1199
- Maternal mortality associated with tuberculosis–HIV-1 co-infection in Durban, South Africa.AIDS. 2001; 15: 1857-1863
- Tuberculosis in association with HIV/AIDS emerges as a major nonobstetric cause of maternal mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010; 108: 181-183
- A study of maternal mortality at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia: the emergence of tuberculosis as a major non-obstetric cause of maternal death.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1999; 3: 675-680
- HIV and maternal mortality.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2014; 127: 213-215
- An analysis of pregnancy-related mortality in the KEMRI/CDC health and demographic surveillance system in western Kenya.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e68733
- Effect of human immunodeficiency virus treatment on maternal mortality at a tertiary center in South Africa: a 5-year audit.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 292-299
- Causes of death on antiretroviral therapy: a post-mortem study from South Africa.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e47542
- Cause of death and presence of respiratory disease at autopsy in an HIV-1 seroconversion cohort of southern African gold miners.AIDS. 2007; 21: S97-S104
- An autopsy study of maternal mortality in Mozambique: the contribution of infectious diseases.PLoS Med. 2008; 5: e44
- The effect of HIV infection on maternal health and mortality.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012; 119: S26-S29
- Congenital defects among children born to women under supervision or treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis.Br J Prev Soc Med. 1964; 18: 14-16
- Vertical transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in KwaZulu Natal: impact of HIV-1 co-infection.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004; 8: 59-69
- High incidence of tuberculosis among HIV-infected infants: evidence from a South African population-based study highlights the need for improved tuberculosis control strategies.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 108-114
- Neonatal outcome of children born to women with tuberculosis.Arch Med Res. 2001; 32: 66-69
- Perinatal outcome in pregnancies complicated by pulmonary tuberculosis.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1994; 44: 119-124
- Obstetrical outcomes among women with extrapulmonary tuberculosis.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 645-649
- Increased risk of low birthweight and small for gestational age infants among women with tuberculosis.BJOG. 2010; 117: 585-590
- Tuberculosis and pregnancy.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003; 80: 247-253
- A case–control study of the risk of adverse perinatal outcomes due to tuberculosis during pregnancy.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012; 32: 635-638
- for the TST. Pharmacokinetics of efavirenz and treatment of HIV-1 among pregnant women with and without tuberculosis coinfection.J Infect Dis. 2014; (pii: jiu429)
- Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in pregnancy: need for more intensive treatment.Infection. 2007; 35: 477-478
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis and pregnancy: treatment outcomes of 38 cases in Lima, Peru.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 1413-1419
- Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis during pregnancy: long-term follow-up of 6 children with intrauterine exposure to second-line agents.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 1689-1692
- Pregnancies complicated by multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV co-infection in Durban, South Africa.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007; 11: 706-708
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in pregnancy.J Coll Phys Surg Pak. 2007; 17: 637-639
- Pregnancy outcomes in HIV-infected women receiving long-term isoniazid prophylaxis for tuberculosis and antiretroviral therapy.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 2013: 195637
- Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis during pregnancy: a report of 7 cases.Clin Infect Dis. 2003; 36: 996-1003
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in pregnancy: case report and review of the literature.Chest. 2003; 123: 953-956
- Congenital tuberculosis because of misdiagnosed maternal pulmonary tuberculosis during pregnancy.Jpn J Infect Dis. 2013; 66: 327-330
- Indolent pneumonia in a pregnant recent immigrant from Ethiopia: think TB.Prim Care Respir J. 2014; 23: 102-105
- Papulonecrotic tuberculids: a rare cutaneous manifestation of tuberculosis in pregnancy.BMJ Case Rep. 2009; (pii: bcr08.2009.2223): 2009
- Tuberculosis of spine with neurological deficit in advanced pregnancy: a report of three cases.Spine J. 2011; 11: e9-e16
- Spinal tuberculosis with paraplegia in pregnancy.Isr Med Assoc J. 2004; 6: 436-437
- Optic neuropathy and perichiasmal tuberculomas associated with Mycobacterium tuberculosis meningitis in pregnancy.Can J Ophthalmol. 2009; 44: 713-715
- Primitive caeco-appendicular tuberculosis revealed by a perforation at 33 weeks of pregnancy.Tunis Med. 2014; 92: 290-291
- Genitourinary tuberculosis: a rare cause of obstructive uropathy in pregnancy.Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 2014: 985682
- Genital tuberculosis in adolescent girls from low socioeconomic status with acute ectopic pregnancy presenting at a tertiary care hospital in urban northern India: are we missing an opportunity to treat?.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 286: 1477-1482
- Positive interferon-gamma release assay leading to a diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pericarditis in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 475-477
- Massive hemoptysis in an immunocompromised pregnant woman with human immunodeficiency virus disease and active pulmonary tuberculosis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 84: 2085-2086
- Massive hemoptysis and complete unilateral lung collapse in pregnancy due to pulmonary tuberculosis with good maternal and fetal outcome: a case report.BMC Res Notes. 2013; 6: 335
- Peritoneal tuberculosis in a pregnant woman from Haiti, United States.Emerg Infect Dis. 2013; 19: 514-516
- Peritoneal tuberculosis in pregnancy: a case report.Pan Afr Med J. 2012; 12: 65
- Peritoneal tuberculosis in pregnancy mimicking advanced ovarian cancer: a plea to avoid hasty, radical and irreversible surgical decisions.Int J Infect Dis. 2009; 13: e270-e272
- Disseminated tuberculosis in pregnancy unknown to doctors in Western Europe case presentation: ‘part of the routine study in infertility’.BMJ Case Rep. 2012; (pii: bcr2012006227): 2012
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial - NoDerivs |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works (except for the author)
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy