- •Depletion of regulatory T (Treg) cells may reduce HIV p24-producing cells and increase HIV-specific cytolytic T lymphocytes (CTL).
- Kinter A.L.
- Hennessey M.
- Bell A.
- Kern S.
- Lin Y.
- Daucher M.
- et al.
2. Materials and methods
|Patient||Age (years)||Gender||CD4 before ART (cells/ml)||CD4 after ART (cells/ml)||Viral load before ART (copies/ml)||Time on ART (years)|
2.2 Primers, probes, and M13 bacteriophages containing target sequences were used as standards for real-time PCR (qPCR)
- Hammer S.M.
- Squires K.E.
- Hughes M.D.
- Grimes J.M.
- Demeter L.M.
- Currier J.S.
- et al.
2.3 qPCR quantification of HIV-1 DNA and cellular CCR5
2.4 Cell isolation
2.5 Cell culture
2.6 Flow cytometry analysis
2.8 Assays for CD4 T cell counts and plasma HIV-1 RNA levels
2.9 Statistical analysis
3.1 HIV persistence in Treg cells
3.2 Depletion of Treg cells facilitates CD4+ T cell activation
3.3 Depletion of Treg cells increases the frequency of HIV-specific CD8+ T cells with prolonged ART
- Kinter A.L.
- Hennessey M.
- Bell A.
- Kern S.
- Lin Y.
- Daucher M.
- et al.
- Stimulation of HIV-1-specific cytolytic T lymphocytes facilitates elimination of latent viral reservoir after virus reactivation.Immunity. 2012; 36: 491-501
- Analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gene expression in latently infected resting CD4+ T lymphocytes in vivo.J Virol. 2003; 77: 7383-7392
- Gene expression and viral production in latently infected, resting CD4+ T cells in viremic versus aviremic HIV-infected individuals.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 1908-1913
- Identification of a reservoir for HIV-1 in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy.Science. 1997; 278: 1295-1300
- Recovery of replication-competent HIV despite prolonged suppression of plasma viremia.Science. 1997; 278: 1291-1295
- Long-term follow-up studies confirm the stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in resting CD4+ T cells.Nat Med. 2003; 9: 727-728
- Heterogeneous clearance rates of long-lived lymphocytes infected with HIV: intrinsic stability predicts lifelong persistence.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 4819-4824
- Effect of interleukin-2 on the pool of latently infected, resting CD4+ T cells in HIV-1-infected patients receiving highly active anti-retroviral therapy.Nat Med. 1999; 5: 651-655
- Immuno-activation with anti-CD3 and recombinant human IL-2 in HIV-1-infected patients on potent antiretroviral therapy.AIDS. 1999; 13: 2405-2410
- OKT3 and IL-2 treatment for purging of the latent HIV-1 reservoir in vivo results in selective long-lasting CD4+ T cell depletion.J Clin Immunol. 2001; 21: 218-226
- Effects of interleukin-2 plus highly active antiretroviral therapy on HIV-1 replication and proviral DNA (COSMIC trial).AIDS. 2002; 16: 1479-1487
- Intensification and stimulation therapy for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reservoirs in infected persons receiving virally suppressive highly active antiretroviral therapy.J Infect Dis. 2002; 186: 1403-1411
- The challenge of finding a cure for HIV infection.Science. 2009; 323: 1304-1307
- Coaxing HIV-1 from resting CD4 T cells: histone deacetylase inhibition allows latent viral expression.AIDS. 2004; 18: 1101-1108
- Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid reactivates HIV from latently infected cells.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 6782-6789
- Expression of latent HIV induced by the potent HDAC inhibitor suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid.AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2009; 25: 207-212
- Activation of latent HIV type 1 gene expression by suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA), an HDAC inhibitor approved for use to treat cutaneous T cell lymphoma.AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2009; 25: 883-887
- Depletion of latent HIV-1 infection in vivo: a proof-of-concept study.Lancet. 2005; 366: 549-555
- No change to HIV-1 latency with valproate therapy.AIDS. 2006; 20: 1681-1682
- Stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in patients receiving valproic acid.J Infect Dis. 2007; 195: 833-836
- Valproic acid without intensified antiviral therapy has limited impact on persistent HIV infection of resting CD4+ T cells.AIDS. 2008; 22: 1131-1135
- Prolonged valproic acid treatment does not reduce the size of latent HIV reservoir.AIDS. 2008; 22: 1125-1129
- Antiretroviral intensification and valproic acid lack sustained effect on residual HIV-1 viremia or resting CD4+ cell infection.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9390
- HIV persistence and the prospect of long-term drug-free remissions for HIV-infected individuals.Science. 2010; 329: 174-180
- The decrease of regulatory T cells correlates with excessive activation and apoptosis of CD8+ T cells in HIV-1-infected typical progressors, but not in long-term non-progressors.Immunology. 2009; 128: e366-e375
- Naturally arising CD4+ regulatory T cells for immunologic self-tolerance and negative control of immune responses.Annu Rev Immunol. 2004; 22: 531-562
- An integrated view of suppressor T cell subsets in immunoregulation.J Clin Invest. 2004; 114: 1198-1208
- Cornerstone of peripheral tolerance: naturally occurring CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells.Trends Immunol. 2004; 25: 374-380
- Human immunodeficiency virus-driven expansion of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells, which suppress HIV-specific CD4 T cell responses in HIV-infected patients.Blood. 2004; 104: 3249-3256
- CD25(+)CD4(+) regulatory T cells from the peripheral blood of asymptomatic HIV-infected individuals regulate CD4(+) and CD8(+) HIV-specific T cell immune responses in vitro and are associated with favorable clinical markers of disease status.J Exp Med. 2004; 200: 331-343
- CD25+ regulatory T cells isolated from HIV-infected individuals suppress the cytolytic and nonlytic antiviral activity of HIV-specific CD8+ T cells in vitro.AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2007; 23: 438-450
- Depletion of regulatory T cells in HIV infection is associated with immune activation.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 4407-4414
- HIV infection of naturally occurring and genetically reprogrammed human regulatory T-cells.PLoS Biol. 2004; 2: E198
- Homeostasis and function of regulatory T cells in HIV/SIV infection.J Virol. 2012; 86: 10262-10269
- NIAID Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology: HIV+ elite controllers have low HIV-specific T-cell activation yet maintain strong, polyfunctional T-cell responses.AIDS. 2010; 24: 1095-1105
- Comprehensive analysis of frequency and phenotype of T regulatory cells in HIV infection: CD39 expression of FoxP3+ T regulatory cells correlates with progressive disease.J Virol. 2011; 85: 1287-1297
- Increased frequency of regulatory T cells accompanies increased immune activation in rectal mucosae of HIV-positive noncontrollers.J Virol. 2011; 85: 11422-11434
- FoxP3 enhances HIV-1 gene expression by modulating NFkappaB occupancy at the long terminal repeat in human T cells.J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 15973-15980
- Human regulatory T cells are targets for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, and their susceptibility differs depending on the HIV type 1 strain.J Virol. 2009; 83: 12925-12933
- Reduced Foxp3 protein expression is associated with inflammatory disease during human T lymphotropic virus type 1 infection.J Infect Dis. 2006; 193: 1557-1566
- HIV infection of primary human T cells is determined by tunable thresholds of T cell activation.Eur J Immunol. 2004; 34: 1705-1714
- Severe depletion of CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells from the intestinal lamina propria but not peripheral blood or lymph nodes during acute simian immunodeficiency virus infection.J Virol. 2007; 81: 12748-12757
- CD127 and CD25 expression defines CD4+ T cell subsets that are differentially depleted during HIV infection.J Immunol. 2008; 180: 5582-5592
- Resting regulatory CD4 T cells: a site of HIV persistence in patients on long-term effective antiretroviral therapy.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e3305
- Gut mucosal FOXP3+ regulatory CD4+ T cells and nonregulatory CD4+ T cells are differentially affected by simian immunodeficiency virus infection in rhesus macaques.J Virol. 2010; 84: 3259-3269
- PD-1 up-regulation is correlated with HIV-specific memory CD8+ T-cell exhaustion in typical progressors but not in long-term nonprogressors.Blood. 2007; 109: 4671-4678
- A controlled trial of two nucleoside analogues plus indinavir in persons with human immunodeficiency virus infection and CD4 cell counts of 200 per cubic millimeter or less. AIDS Clinical Trials Group 320 Study Team.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 725-733
- Treatment with indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection and prior antiretroviral therapy.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 734-739
- Rapid turnover of plasma virions and CD4 lymphocytes in HIV-1 infection.Nature. 1995; 373: 123-126
- Rapid turnover of 2-LTR HIV-1 DNA during early stage of highly active antiretroviral therapy.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e21081
- Large-scale monitoring of host cell gene expression during HIV-1 infection using cDNA microarrays.Virology. 2000; 266: 8-16
- Cellular gene expression upon human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection of CD4(+)-T-cell lines.J Virol. 2003; 77: 1392-1402
- A low T regulatory cell response may contribute to both viral control and generalized immune activation in HIV controllers.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e15924
- Foxp3 interacts with nuclear factor of activated T cells and NF-kappa B to repress cytokine gene expression and effector functions of T helper cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 5138-5143
- FOXP3 controls regulatory T cell function through cooperation with NFAT.Cell. 2006; 126: 375-387
- Transcriptional regulation by Foxp3 is associated with direct promoter occupancy and modulation of histone acetylation.J Biol Chem. 2006; 281: 36828-36834
- Protective HIV-specific CD8+ T cells evade Treg cell suppression.Nat Med. 2011; 17: 989-995
- HIV-1-driven regulatory T-cell accumulation in lymphoid tissues is associated with disease progression in HIV/AIDS.Blood. 2006; 108: 3808-3817
- Human CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells control T-cell responses to human immunodeficiency virus and cytomegalovirus antigens.J Virol. 2004; 78: 2454-2459
- CTLA-4 blockade decreases TGF-beta, IDO, and viral RNA expression in tissues of SIVmac251-infected macaques.Blood. 2006; 108: 3834-3842
- HIV-specific regulatory T cells are associated with higher CD4 cell counts in primary infection.AIDS. 2008; 22: 2451-2460
- CD39/adenosine pathway is involved in AIDS progression.PLoS Pathog. 2011; 7: e1002110
- Control of SIV rebound through structured treatment interruptions during early infection.Science. 2000; 290: 1591-1593
- Transient depletion of regulatory T cells in transgenic mice reactivates virus-specific CD8+ T cells and reduces chronic retroviral set points.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 2420-2425
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy