- •Vitamin K deficiency is associated with worse clinical outcome in COVID-19 patients.
- •High levels of inactive MGP reflect vitamin K insufficiency, and vice versa.
- •Inflammation-induced vitamin K usage may be the reason for vitamin K deficiency in COVID-19.
- •Normal inactive MGP levels prior to COVID-19 infection support this theory.
Declaration of competing interest
- 30-year trends in major cardiovascular risk factors in the Czech population, Czech Monica and Czech post-Monica, 1985–2016/17.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0232845
- Vitamin K & D deficiencies are independently associated with COVID-19 disease severity.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021; 8: ofab408
- Reduced vitamin K status as a potentially modifiable risk factor of severe coronavirus disease 2019.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 73: e4039-e4046
- Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China.Lancet. 2020; 395: 497-506
- Warfarin dose requirements in adults hospitalized with COVID-19 infection: a retrospective case series.J Pharm Pract. 2022; 35: 654-660
- Vitamin K metabolism as the potential missing link between lung damage and thromboembolism in coronavirus disease 2019.Br J Nutr. 2021; 126: 191-198
- The association of low vitamin K status with mortality in a cohort of 138 hospitalized patients with COVID-19.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 1985
- Desphospho-uncarboxylated matrix gla protein is associated with increased aortic stiffness in a general population.J Hum Hypertens. 2016; 30: 418-423
- The effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) on coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): a systematic review.Eur J Med Res. 2021; 26: 96
- Vitamin K-dependent carboxylation of matrix Gla-protein: a crucial switch to control ectopic mineralization.Trends Mol Med. 2013; 19: 217-226
- The clinical outcomes of COVID-19 in HIV-positive patients: a systematic review of current evidence.Immun Inflamm Dis. 2021; 9: 1160-1185
- A perfect storm: root cause analysis of supra-therapeutic anticoagulation with vitamin K antagonists during the COVID-19 pandemic.Thromb Res. 2020; 192: 73-74
- Effect of Menaquinone-7 (vitamin K2) on vascular elasticity in healthy subjects: results from a one-year study.Vascul Dis Ther. 2020; 5: 1-4
- Effects of vitamin D and K on interleukin-6 in COVID-19.Front Nutr. 2021; 8761191
- Vitamin K-dependent matrix gla protein as multifaceted protector of vascular and tissue integrity.Hypertension. 2019; 73: 1160-1169
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy