This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Objective: To characterize the effects of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) or granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) on clinical outcomes in neutropenic HIV-infected patients, by means of a retrospective cohort study at an urban teaching hospital.
Method: Data were reviewed from all patients discharged between January 1, 1996, and August 31, 1997, with human immunodeficiency virus and neutropenia (absolute neutrophil count (ANC) <1000 cells/μL), with outcome measures of length of stay, infectious complications, and survival to discharge.
Results: Of the 228 discharged patients who met selection criteria, 71 had received G-CSF or GM-CSF; 157 controls had not. Cases had lower CD4+ cell counts (30 vs. 54 cells/μL; P = 0.017) and lower nadir ANCs (372 vs. 579 cells/μL; P < 0.001). Granulocyte-CSF or GM-CSF usage was not associated with the frequency of site-related infections, fever, or sepsis (all P > 0.20). No difference was found in duration of hospitalization (23 vs. 21 days; P > 0.20). In a logistic regression model for survival to discharge, higher nadir ANC and CSF use were independently associated with improved survival (P = 0.034 and P = 0.026, respectively).
Conclusion: Use of G-CSF or GM-CSF was associated with improved survival to discharge among hospitalized HIV-infected patients with neutropenia.
- Incidence and mechanism of neutropenia and thrombocytopenia in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Br J Haematol. 1987; 66: 337-340
- Guidelines for the use of antimicrobial agents in neutropenic patients with unexplained fever: a statement by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.J Infect Dis. 1991; 162: 381-396
- Evolving risk factors for infectious complications of cancer therapy.Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 1993; 7: 771-793
- Clinical significance of neutropenia in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1991; 12: 429-434
- Bacteremia and fungemia in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.Ann Intern Med. 1986; 104: 511-514
- Outcome for hospitalized patients with fever and neutropenia who are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 363-371
- Neutropenia and bacterial infection in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.Arch Intern Med. 1995; 155: 1965-1970
- Zidovudine-induced neutropenia: Are we too cautious?.Lancet. 1989; 2: 91-92
- Impact of bacteremia on HIV infection: nine years' experience in a large Italian university hospital.J Infect. 1995; 31: 123-131
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 99-106
- G-CSF in severe chemotherapy induced afebrile neutropenia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1776-1780
- Filgrastim in patients with chemotherapy-induced febrile neutropenia: a doubleblind, placebo-controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 121: 492-501
- Randomized comparison between antibiotics alone and antibiotics plus GMCSF (Escherichia coli-derived) in cancer patients with fever and neutropenia.Am J Med. 1996; 100: 17-23
- A controlled study of recombinant human-granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in elderly patients after treatment for acute myelogenous leukemia.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1678-1683
- Concomitant granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and induction chemoradiotherapy in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a randomized phase III trial.Blood. 1995; 86: 444-450
- American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations for the use of hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors: evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 2471-2508
- Update of recommendations for the use of hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors: evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.J Clin Oncol. 1996; 14: 1957-1960
- Clinical use of haematological growth factors in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) infection.Biomed Pharmacother. 1994; 48: 69-72
- The use of haematopoietic growth factors in HIV infection and AIDS-related malignancies.Cancer Invest. 1991; 9: 229-238
- Efficacy of recombinant G-CSF on neutropenia in patients with AIDS.AIDS. 1990; 4: 1251-1255
- Filgrastim prevents severe neutropenia and reduces infective morbidity in patients with advanced HIV infection: results of a randomized, multicenter, controlled trial.AIDS. 1998; 12: 65-74
- G-CSF use is associated with decreased bacteremia and increased survival in neutropenic HIV-infected patients.Am J Med. 1998; 104: 48-55
- Ceftazidime compared with piperacillin and tobramycin for the empiric treatment of fever in neutropenic patients with cancer.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 834-944
- Report of the Task Force of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 6th ed. NIH Publication No. 92-3220. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MDApril 1992
- Frequency and risk factors of infectious complications in neutropenic patients infected with HIV.AIDS. 1997; 11: 955-998
Accepted: October 29, 1998
Received: June 30, 1998
© 1999 Published by Elsevier Inc.
User licenseElsevier user license |
How you can reuse
Elsevier's open access license policy
Elsevier user license
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy